March 27, 2019
Dear parents, guardians, and faculty,
December 4, 2019
This Friday, Saint Joseph the Worker Catholic Academy will be holding its first official Family-Teacher report card conferences for the 2019-2020 school year. As you sit with your child’s teacher, you will have the opportunity to discuss your child’s academic progress, based on a wide range of assessments and endless hours of close observations. At the same time, we rely on what families tell us to deepen our understanding of students, and we hope you leave your conference with a richer and more detailed sense of who your child is at school to compliment your sense of your child in the wider world. Conferences pull together a portrait of your child’s progress so far this year–laying out early strengths and providing a chance to reflect on some next steps to support continued growth.
Friday, December 6, 2019, has been set aside for Family-Teacher report card conferences. Students will be dismissed at 12 noon and there is no afterschool. You should have already received information from your child’s teacher regarding setting up an appointment. At conferences, you will receive your child’s report card, login credentials for a new math enrichment program we are using, and if earned, honor roll certificate. Terranova results have not arrived as of today and may not be here in time for your conference.
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each and every student at Saint Joseph the Worker Catholic Academy over the past few months and am looking forward to the remainder of the year!
- All summer homework can be found on the website under the “Summer Information” tab.
- All school supply lists can be on the website under the “Summer Information” tab. (PreK-3A and PreK-3B have the same supply list.)
- Wednesday, September 4, 2019 is the first day of class for grades K-8. This is a half day dismissal. (Half-days dismiss at 12:00 pm.)
- Thursday, September 5, 2019 is a FULL day for grades K-8.
- PK4 attends from 8:00 am -10:00 am.
- PK3 attends from 9:00 am-10:00 am
- Friday, September 6, 2019 will dismiss at 2:00 pm for grades K-8.
- PK4 attends from 8:00 am -12:00 pm.
- PK3 attends from 8:00 am-11:00 am
- Bussing will begin on Thursday, September 5th.
- Hot lunch will begin on Monday, September 30, 2019. Please make sure you send your child with a bagged lunch for the four weeks of school!
- After school will begin on Monday, September 9th.
- Save the date! Meet the teachers/Back to school night will be on Thursday, September 12th at 6:00 pm.
- Pre-K3 orientation will take place in late August, Date TBA.
As we prepare for the new school year, I want you to be aware of the following changes.
- The school day will run from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. Students can begin arriving at 7:30 am just as they have in past years.
- We will no longer dismiss at 2:00 pm on Fridays, with the exception of the first Friday of every month.
- On Fridays we will dismiss at 3:00 pm.
- On the first Friday of each month we will dismiss at 2:00 pm to allow for faculty meetings. We will send reminders early in the week as these days approach.
- Students who need to dismiss at 3:00 pm are welcome to remain in after school for the hour, free of charge.
- All half-day dismissals will be 12:00 pm. (9/5, 11/27, 12/6, 12/20, 6/18 and 6/19)
- Grades 5-8 will be fully departmentalized with the same cohort of teachers.
- Ms. Cadotte: 5th grade homeroom and Social Studies teacher
- Ms. Pitilli: 6th grade homeroom and Math Teacher
- Mr. Malafronte: 7th grade homeroom and ELA teacher
- Ms. Butler: 8th grade homeroom and Science teacher
- Teachers and staff will be using Class Dojo this year to send home reminders and communicate with parents. Watch your inbox for your invitation mid-late August!
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year! Summer has flew by. You are now ready to pack those new backpacks with fresh school supplies. As you anticipate your return or your first day at SJWCA, there are a few items we would like to bring to your attention.
- Tuition Payment: Please sign in to FACTS. Afterschool and other fees will be collected through FACTS as well this year. Mrs. Gallina will answer your questions about FACTS firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Arrival: All Students will arrive through the Howard Avenue entrance ONLY from 7:30am-8:00am. (the schoolyard side of the building)
- As of 8:00am all students will enter through the main entrance on Windsor Place.
- PreK3 and PreK4 will go directly to their classrooms on the first floor. Grade K-4 will meet their classmates and teachers in the Cafeteria. Grades 5-8 will meet in the Gym.
- Wednesday 9/5 is a half day 11:30 dismissal. The first full day of school is Thursday, 9/6. Yellow bus service also starts on this day. After school begins on 9/10.
- Please sure your child brings lunch with them. Hot lunch program starts October 1.
- Friday 2pm Dismissal: Please remember that every Friday we will dismiss at 2:00. For NO EXTRA FEE, students may stay in the afterschool program until 3pm. Students picked up after 3pm will pay the regular after school fees.
- Please indicate to your child’s teacher if they will be staying past 2pm weekly on Fridays.
- Back to School Night is on Tuesday, September 11th from 6:00-7:00 pm. New Parent Orientation will be at 5pm on 9/11.
We look forward to a new and exciting year of learning! Thank you for choosing SJWCA for your child’s academic journey!
End of Year
Summer Office Hours: 9am – 1pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Summer Assignments: All summer assignments will be available online this year through the school website. They can be accessed by hitting the yellow tab on the homepage marked “Summer Information”.
Summer Communication: Option C messages will be sent out during the summer with information regarding the 2018-19 school year. Please make sure that your contact information is up to date with Mrs. Witthohn.
PreK3 and PreK4 Orientation: scheduled for August 21st. More information to follow.
Tuition: Families will receive information about next year’s tuition schedule before the summer break begins.
Thank you for a wonderful school year at St. Joseph the Worker. We have so much to look forward to for the 2018-19 school year as we expand opportunities in technology and STEAM/STEM. Stay tuned! Until then….
We wish you a happy and restful summer. Enjoy your time with your family and friends.
End of Year Important Dates:
Step-up Ceremonies in Shepherd’s Hall @ 9 am
June 19- PreK3
June 20- PreK4
June 21- Kindergarten
June 15 – Last Day of Afterschool
June 18- Last Full School Day
June 22 – Last Day of School/ Academic Awards 8:30 am
Card Party Tickets are on sale in the Main Office.
We are still accepting donations.
50/50 Tickets are on sale in the Main Office $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. You do not have to be present at the Card Party to be a winner!
6th Grade- Shout out to the 6th grade girls for being leaders in the 1st grade classroom! They are spending free time helping 1st graders with reading and writing.
N.U.T. Day – The March 7th N.U.T. Day raised $230 for the Catholic Relief Fund.
Stages on the Sound- Grades 4,6, and 8 all participated in the Artist in Residence program Stages on the Sound. Grade 4 did a fun stop-animation film about a Parrot Named Llama. 6th graders put on original skits, and 8th grade performed Shakespeare.
Chocolate Sale – Thank you families for making the World’s Finest Chocolate Sale a success. The winner of the Great Candy Sale Race was Grade 5, they sold 49 boxes. 2nd place went to 4th grade and it was a tie for 3rd between 8A and Grade 3.
Service Hours – Parents looking to fulfill service hours, we have a list under Parent Resources on sjwca.org about how you can get involved in the school community. You can also contact the main office or Ms. Schneck for more ideas.
Card Party – Tickets are now on sale in the main office, the event will be May 18th. We are continuing to accept donations of items or experiences. This is our biggest fundraiser of the year, so spread the word!
Run/Walk Club – Ms. Schneck with the help of a PreK4 parent, will be starting on April 10th. Parents and students are invited for a weekly walk around Prospect Park. This is a time for families to exercise and socialize. Students coming without a parent will need to have a permission slip. We will meet at the main entrance at 3pm.
Kindergarten – Through science, they learned how liquids can become solids through making butter. What a fun real-world experience in the classroom!
8th Grade- As you may have noticed, our entryway bench underwent a transformation. It was designed and painted by 8th graders Aida, Tristan, Madison, Ismael and Daniel. I look forward to more project proposals like these throughout the building. Parents, students and staff are welcome to submit ideas.
Open House – There will be an Open House for new families to tour the school on March 16th from 5:30-6:30pm.
Lenten Projects- Grades 4-8 were asked to do projects to brighten the school as a part of their celebration of Lent. 5th graders are sending gift packages to each class to remind them of the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. 8th graders are doing daily readings and a new painting project. 7th graders are doing good deeds for the lower grades.
Paint Night – Sign up is available for March 23rd at 6:30pm. Doors will open at 6:00. The event will be held in the cafeteria. There is limited space available, so get your reservation in right away.
Card Party – Will be held on May 18th. We are continuing to receive donations. For more information about requests for donations please email myself or Mrs. Papa.
Mommy and Me – Due the success of this program, it will be held weekly until the end of the school year starting March 9th. Families can buy class packages in the main office.
Re-registration – Please hand in forms to make the early registration deadline. Parents can re-register on Option C. Payment of registration fee will be $200 before March 27th and $250 thereafter.
Run/Walk Club – Ms. Schneck will be leading a new after school club starting after Easter Break. Parents and students are invited for a weekly walk around Prospect Park.
Save the Date! – Paint Night – Starting this month you can sign up for a night of fun on March 9th at 6:30pm. Registration forms will be sent home through Option C and available on the school website.
Card Party – Is currently accepting donations. We have already received some wonderful donations.
Candy Sale – There will be a schoolwide contest for the class that sells the most candy. 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes will be handed out to classes.
Re-registration – Parents can re-register on Option C. Payment of registration fee will be $200 before March 27th and $250 thereafter.
Run/Walk Club – Ms. Schneck will be leading a new after school club starting this Spring. Parents and Students are invited for a weekly walk around Prospect Park. Sign up will be sent out next month.
Buddy Days – February 16th and March 15th will be designated Buddy Days where students can host a friend, relative, neighbor that may be interested in attending SJWCA in 2018-19. Family service hours will be provided and a N.U.T. card if you bring a buddy.
Technology Donation- Our school received 10 new Amazon Fire Kids Edition tablets in December. Our PreK students are using them for language acquisition and number recognition. We also received 3 refurbished laptops for teachers to use with their SMARTboards. ***Please let us know if you can help us continue to move towards effectively using technology in our classrooms.***
“It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” – Mother Teresa